Residents of a culd-de-sac in the English town of Salford got a “free high” after a house containing a large illegal cannabis farm caught fire, according to the Manchester Evening News.

Most of the residents were not too happy about the second-hand doobage. The smoke was described as “pungent,” “horrendous,” and “disgusting.” It apparently got the neighbors so nauseous, or “knocked sick” as they charmingly, Englishly called it, that children were “vomiting in the street.” We might point out, however, that housing insulation is probably more likely to cause that kind of physical reaction than fresh plants.

Fortunately, there were no casualties in the fire other than those heady buds. No one was at home when the house caught fire and a dog was reportedly rescued by firefighters after appearing at the window and trying to escape. The house was badly damaged and a neighboring house was charred in the fire.

The residents were surprised to discover a major marijuana supplier in their cul-de-sac.  “I’ve lived here for 17 years,” one told the Evening news. “I can’t believe there was a cannabis farm there.”

Another neighbor said the smoke “was very strong, you could feel it on your lungs,” and said that, “Someone was joking that we should have been grateful because it was a ‘free high’.”

A 43 year-old man was arrested in connection with the grow operation. It’s unclear at this time whether the fire was caused by the cannabis cultivation. Untended lighting systems can potentially start a home fire, and a water heater used in a California grow caused a massive wildfire this summer. Though there is no report of concentrates being found in the home, that is of course, the most common cannabis-related cause of fires.

Photo via Flickr user Rob Swystun

Dabs Mag Staff
Leave a reply

Leave a Reply