Hash oil is about to make its primetime network television debut. Cannabis concentrates have been featured on the TV news (almost always to tell or warn viewers about BHO explosions), but, as far as we can find, have never been featured on a primetime network scripted show until now.
What context do you suppose extracts are going to be shown in? Treating children withepileptic seizures or perhaps just a couple of high-functioning stoners kicking back with a rig at the end of a hard day? Nope, it’s another BHO explosion. Actually, scratch that, two BHO explosions.
The 100th episode of Chicago Fire, set to air on Tuesday, December 6th, will feature some hunky firefighters going toe-toe with their deadliest opponent yet: a dweeby stoner making butane hash oil in his kitchen.
Screenshot of Chicago Fire episode “One Hundred”
In a clip on Yahoo! TV, the shows’ characters are seen barging into a house after a refridgerator has just exploded. The implication is that the dweeby stoner residing there was cooling hash oil in the freezer where he trapped the still-dissipating butane gas and then something or other ignited the gas and… kaboom! The idea is hit home when, only a minute after entering the house, yet another refrigerator blows up, sending an easily dodged fireball at our heroes.
It’s a very antiseptic BHO explosion. No burn victims, no skin grafts, not even much property damage besides the two refrigerators. Cheesy as it is, the clip actually contains a little bit of Google-researchable information that might be useful to the public. “Using butane to extract hash oil indoors. Do you know how stupid that is?” one of the hunky firemen asks the dweeby stoner. “Hey, man. I got a prescription. It’s all good,” the dweeby stoner replies. “No, it’s not all good,” says the hunky fireman. “Butane evaporates and needs ventilation.”
Though explosions of this kind aren’t as common as mid-run BHO blowups, they do happen. An explosion in Murrieta, California last August resulted from BHO cooling in a refrigerator. In the words of The Press Enterprise: “… the butane gas emitted from the honey oil settled at the bottom of the refrigerator near the compressor. Once the compressor was activated, the butane gas reacted to this ignition source, which resulted in an explosion.” In the words of Chicago Fire: “[Your doctor] doesn’t give you a prescription to turn your freezer into a time bomb.”